Key financial news stories monitored by global media overnight include:
1. Trump Issues Fresh Threat After Pausing Iran Strike, Warns of 'Powerful Hit' Without Deal 2. US Regulators Unveil Plan to Revamp Bank Rating System 3. Google Upgrades Search for AI Era, Launches New Developer Tools 4. US Regulators Pause Some Bank Cybersecurity Exams to Assess AI Risks 5. Google Introduces $100 Monthly AI Plan, Slashes Top-Tier Subscription Price 6. NATO Begins Considering Vessel Escorts Through Strait of Hormuz
Trump Issues Fresh Threat After Pausing Iran Strike, Warns of 'Powerful Hit' Without Deal US President Donald Trump has threatened to resume strikes against Iran within days, aiming to pressure Tehran into a conflict-ending agreement. "I hope we don't have to go to war, but we may have to give them another powerful hit," Trump told reporters on Tuesday. When asked how long he would wait, he responded, "I'd say a couple of days, maybe Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Or early next week—a limited time." Trump's latest remarks raise the possibility of renewed intense hostilities between the US and Iran. Iran has so far refused to accept Trump's demand to abandon its remaining nuclear program.
US Regulators Unveil Plan to Revamp Bank Rating System US regulators have released a proposal to reform how examiners privately rate banks, a move likely welcomed by lenders who have long complained about the process. The plan, issued Tuesday, would reshape the framework known as CAMELS. Examiners use this framework to rate banks on Capital adequacy, Asset quality, Management, Earnings, Liquidity, and Sensitivity to market risk. These ratings contribute to an overall composite rating, which determines the level of scrutiny a financial institution faces, the business activities it can engage in, and its capital requirements. The Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC) stated that the proposal would "strengthen the link between CAMELS ratings and the safety and soundness of financial institutions."
Google Upgrades Search for AI Era, Launches New Developer Tools Alphabet's Google is redesigning its iconic search box and adding new AI-powered programming tools, the latest steps in its multi-billion dollar push to expand its influence in the AI era. Google has revamped the search box to better handle longer, more complex queries users pose to chatbots. The company also plans to upgrade its search engine with AI agents to help users track topics of interest, make bookings, and monitor health, among other tasks. Some features will initially be limited to paid subscribers.
US Regulators Pause Some Bank Cybersecurity Exams to Assess AI Risks US regulators have paused certain cybersecurity-related examinations for large banks to give the institutions more time to address risks exposed by Anthropic PBC's new Mythos AI model. People familiar with the matter said that the Federal Reserve and the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency want to give banks time to bolster their systems against cyber threats exposed by the latest AI models while regulators and banks test the new technology. Anthropic last month said it would limit access to Mythos, warning the system could be used to launch cyberattacks.
Google Introduces $100 Monthly AI Plan, Slashes Top-Tier Subscription Price Tech giant Google announced a major overhaul of its AI subscription services at its 2026 I/O developer conference, introducing a new $100-per-month AI Ultra entry-level plan while cutting the price of its top-tier plan from $250 to $200. Google has redefined its AI subscription tiers. The new $100/month AI Ultra plan is primarily aimed at developers, technical leads, and advanced creators, offering 5x the usage quota of the Pro plan, 20TB of cloud storage, and a YouTube Premium individual plan. The existing top-tier Ultra plan is now priced at $200/month, retaining a 20x usage quota and access to experimental features like Project Genie. Furthermore, the entry-level AI Plus and AI Pro plans remain at $8 and $20 respectively, but with enhanced features.
NATO Begins Considering Vessel Escorts Through Strait of Hormuz According to a senior NATO official, the alliance is discussing the possibility of taking action to assist vessels through the Strait of Hormuz if the waterway remains closed by early July. A diplomat from a NATO country stated that the idea has support from some alliance members but has not achieved the required consensus. Both officials requested anonymity. NATO leaders are scheduled to meet in Ankara on July 7-8. "First, we need political direction, and then formal planning would follow," NATO's Supreme Allied Commander Europe, Alexus Grynkewich, said at a press conference Tuesday when asked about the possibility. "Am I thinking about it? Absolutely."
Comments