By Teresa Rivas
Like a middle-aged yoga practitioner who has failed to stretch before attempting a tricky pose, Lululemon Athletica feels stuck. The longer it stays that way, the harder it will be to win back investor trust.
The stock is down some 39% since the start of 2026 alone and has lost nearly 60% of its value in the past 12 months; it's lost some three-quarters of its value from its postpandemic late 2023 high of more than $500.
The stock's decline is down to a number of issues -- lackluster financial results and forecasts, see-through leggings scandals, and worries that products contain toxic chemicals, to name a few. The company previously told Barron's that its products don't contain PFAS, the acronym for a group of synthetic "forever chemicals" linked to health risks.
However the latest twist came this week when the proxy battle between Lululemon and founder Chip Wilson became more acrimonious.
Recall that at the end of 2025, Wilson launched a proxy battle, arguing that the board and the company's strategy needed substantial changes as the stock struggled. At that time, Lululemon said it had engaged "extensively and in good faith" with Wilson. But last Tuesday, the company published a letter -- the first major pushback against Wilson -- in which it urged shareholders to reject his nominees to the board of directors.
The letter came after a breakdown in talks between the two sides, and Lululemon's board said Wilson has "outdated perspectives" about the company's future.
"His actions have been damaging to the brand and harming the very stakeholders he claims to represent: shareholders, guests, and employees, " the board said. "Electing any of Mr. Wilson's nominees would endorse his misguided perspectives, significantly downgrade the Board's skills and expertise, and jeopardize the ability of the leadership team and our incoming CEO to effectively build on and accelerate Lululemon's ongoing action plan at a critical time for the business."
Wilson didn't return requests for comment.
The stakes are higher for management as incoming chief executive officer and former Nike alum Heidi O'Neill garnered a mixed reaction from analysts. The stock has fallen more than 20% since her appointment was announced in late April. She is slated to start Sept. 8.
That said, analysts appear more focused on the merchandising than the battle at the top.
"Our consistent channel checks continue to show one thing: product remains the problem, and it has only gotten worse," wrote Jefferies analyst Randal Konik wrote after the shareholder letter's release last week. He warns that "incoherent designs" and "lower quality fabric" are causing consumers to lose interest in the brand.
"These issues are now showing up in the data," with consumers' intent to purchase falling in March, and worsening in April, after declines that were already recorded in 2025.
Whether through O'Neill or Wilson's board nominees, it's clear that Lululemon needs a fresh approach, and the longer it takes to get there, the longer the stock will stay mired in its downtrend.
KeyBanc Capital Markets analyst Ashley Owens noted last week that data from the firm's two million credit and debit card users showed spending at the athleisure brand was down in the first quarter -- below her expectations -- and further decelerated from the fourth quarter's decline.
The numbers signal that lackluster spending could continue in the second quarter.
"While the data typically runs below actual results, the weakness appears to have extended into May thus far and points to a potentially longer recovery timeline as turnaround efforts struggle to take hold," she writes.
That means whoever is at the top has a difficult road ahead.
Write to Teresa Rivas at teresa.rivas@barrons.com
This content was created by Barron's, which is operated by Dow Jones & Co. Barron's is published independently from Dow Jones Newswires and The Wall Street Journal.
(END) Dow Jones Newswires
May 24, 2026 02:00 ET (06:00 GMT)
Copyright (c) 2026 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
Comments