Portillo's cut around 18% of the active workforce at its corporate headquarters last month as part of a reduction in force, the restaurant chain disclosed on Wednesday.
The job cuts, implemented on July 31, impacted corporate headquarters employees as well as "a limited number of field management roles," the company said. No restaurant-level staff were impacted.
"While never an easy decision, it is imperative that we examine areas of the business where we can operate more efficiently and ensure our resources and future investments are directed at the right priorities," Chief Executive Brett Patterson said. "These actions, along with other efficiencies, will support our long-term growth strategy."
The impact of the layoffs was included in the company's newest full-year financial targets, it said.
Portillo's on Wednesday projected between $78 million and $82 million in general and administrative expenses, dropping the lower bound from previous guidance of $80 million.
Full-year adjusted earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization are expected between $92 million and $96 million.
Portillo's had previously said 2026 adjusted Ebitda would be flat compared to the 2025 figure of $97.3 million. Analysts polled by FactSet currently expect $93.3 million.
Shares of Portillo's fell 1.5% to $4.60 in after-hours trading.
The company reported a second-quarter profit of $6.9 million, or 9 cents a share, compared with $8.7 million, or 12 cents a share, a year earlier.
Revenue rose to $199 million from $188.5 million a year prior.
Analysts were expecting a profit of 8 cents a share on $199.2 million in revenue.
Same-restaurant sales fell 1.2% year-over-year.
Comments